Five week Tram closure in 2018
The Portland Aerial Tram is closed Saturday, June 23, 2018 for track rope maintenance. It will resume service on Monday, July 30. For safety reasons, during the work, the upper Tram terminal elevator and upper platform will be closed as well.
During the closure, special shuttles (see shuttle map) will run daily from 5:15 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays. Shuttles will arrive at the stops every 5-10 minutes and the trip between campuses will take 30-40 minutes. Tram shuttles will only stop if someone is waiting.
The below maps show suggested routes for by transit, bike and walking as well as the Tram shuttle route that will operate June 23 through July 30, 2018.
Alternatives to the Tram
Transit (bus and rail)
- Plan a trip by TriMet bus at trimet.org.
- Service hours: Early morning through evening. No overnight service. Varies by route and day.
- Average trip time: 45 minutes.
- Portland Streetcar and the Orange MAX Light Rail can connect you to downtown and Portland's transit mall.
- Plan a bike trip in Google Maps to Marquam Hill or South Waterfront.
- See a printable map of bike routes and valet locations here.
- See a route in Google Maps here. (Route may vary. For a route optimized for safety and elevation see the printable map above.)
- View a trip planner for a bike + transit trip here.
- Biketown - Portland's bike share system is available at the South Waterfront. Marquam Hill is not in Biketown's home area. Recommended for biking between South Waterfront and downtown, where you can connect to alternatives. Unlock $20 credit with promo code Tram18.
- South Waterfront to Marquam Hill is walkable for the intrepid hiker. Plan for an elevation gain of 300 feet in 1.2 miles. You'll cross busy intersections and the trail to Terwilliger is a short, steep climb of padded dirt.
- Average trip time: 30 minutes.
- View walking directions from Portland Aerial Tram in Google Maps.
- View walking directions from Tilikum Crossing in Google Maps.
Hailing a ride
- A number of taxi services offer service coverage between Marquam Hill and South Waterfront.
- Service hours: 24 hours a day.
- Average trip time: 12 minutes to 45 minutes depending on service and wait times.
- Broadway Cab - Taxi cab service. Website.
- Lyft - Ride hail service by smartphone. Website.
- Uber - Ride hail service by smartphone. Website.
- Radiocab - Taxi cab service. Website.
- Union Cab - Taxi cab service. Website.
- These services are not available on short notice but can provide a long term alternative when the Tram is not in service. Subject to vehicle availability.
- Average trip time: 12 minutes.
- Scoop - Find or share a ride in the morning or evening. Website.
- Car2Go - Car share service. Limited parking on Marquam Hill. Approval takes 3 to 7 business days. Website.
- Zipcar - Book a car for a round trip reservation. Approval takes 3 to 7 business days. Website.
The maintenance process
Learn why Tram maintenance takes 38 days by watching the below videos. Be sure to turn up the audio!