Five week Tram closure in 2018
Update: The Tram will reopen Monday, July 9 - three weeks earlier than expected.
The Portland Aerial Tram closed Saturday, June 23, 2018 for maintenance. Service resumed Monday, July 9. For safety, the upper terminal elevator and platform were closed as well.
During the closure, shuttles (map) ran daily, 5:15 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. weekdays; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays. Shuttles arrived every 5-10 minutes and the trip between campuses took 30-40 minutes. Shuttles only stopped if someone is waiting. The maps below suggested routes for by transit, bike and walking as well as the Tram closure shuttle route.
Construction delays were ongoing. In the event of a major or unusual traffic disruption, updates were provided at 503-494-9021.
Transit (bus and rail)
- Plan a trip by TriMet bus at trimet.org.
- Service hours: Early morning through evening. No overnight service. Varies by route and day.
- Average trip time: 45 minutes.
- Portland Streetcar and the Orange MAX Light Rail can connect you to downtown and Portland's transit mall.
- Through the 2018 Tram Closure, The Tram is hosting a variety of resources to bike between South Waterfront and Marquam Hill.
- Wayfinding bike routes here.
- Bike share is available adjacent to each option. In addition, electric bike share is available at each Go By Bike location to people with an OHSU email. See bike share options here.
- Bike parking: Go By Bike's normal location is closed until July 30, 2018. 3 temporary locations are open in the meantime. See Go By Bike's temporary locations and hours here.
- South Waterfront to Marquam Hill is walkable for the intrepid hiker. Plan for an elevation gain of 300 feet in 1.2 miles. You'll cross busy intersections and the trail to Terwilliger is a short, steep climb of padded dirt.
- Average trip time: 30 minutes.
- View walking directions from Portland Aerial Tram in Google Maps.
- View walking directions from Tilikum Crossing in Google Maps.
Hailing a ride
- A number of taxi services offer service coverage between Marquam Hill and South Waterfront.
- Service hours: 24 hours a day.
- Average trip time: 12 minutes to 45 minutes depending on service and wait times.
- Broadway Cab - Taxi cab service. Website.
- Lyft - Ride hail service by smartphone. Website.
- Uber - Ride hail service by smartphone. Website.
- Radiocab - Taxi cab service. Website.
- Union Cab - Taxi cab service. Website.
- These services are not available on short notice but can provide a long term alternative when the Tram is not in service. Subject to vehicle availability.
- Average trip time: 12 minutes.
- Scoop - Find or share a ride in the morning or evening. Website.
- Car2Go - Car share service. Limited parking on Marquam Hill. Approval takes 3 to 7 business days. Website.
- Zipcar - Book a car for a round trip reservation. Approval takes 3 to 7 business days. Website.
THE MAINTENANCE PROCESS
Learn why Tram maintenance takes 38 days by watching the videos below. Be sure to turn up the audio!