Five week Tram closure in 2018
The Portland Aerial Tram will close for five weeks (38 days!) for track rope maintenance, from June 23 through July 30, 2018.
When the Tram is not in service, plan for a longer trip between South Waterfront and Marquam Hill. This is the very reason a tram needed to be constructed.
The below maps show suggested routes for by transit, bike and walking as well as the Tram shuttle route that will operate June 23 through July 30, 2018.
Text based directions are at the bottom of the page.
The maintenance process
Learn why Tram maintenance takes 38 days by watching the below videos. Be sure to turn up the audio!
Alternatives to the Tram
Transit (bus and rail)
- Plan a trip by TriMet bus at trimet.org.
- Service hours: Early morning through evening. No overnight service. Varies by route and day.
- Average trip time: 45 minutes.
- Portland Streetcar and the Orange MAX Light Rail can connect you to downtown and Portland's transit mall.
- Over a thousand people bike to the Tram every day. Plan a bike trip in Google Maps to Marquam Hill or South Waterfront.
- Average trip time: 27 minutes
- View biking directions here.
- Biketown - Portland's bike share system is available at the South Waterfront. Marquam Hill is not in Biketown's home area. Recommended for biking between South Waterfront and downtown, where you can connect to transit or walk.
- South Waterfront to Marquam Hill is walkable for the intrepid hiker. Plan for an elevation gain of 300 feet in 1.2 miles. You'll cross busy intersections and the trail to Terwilliger is a short, steep climb of padded dirt.
- Average trip time: 30 minutes.
- View walking directions from Portland Aerial Tram in Google Maps.
- View walking directions from Tilikum Crossing in Google Maps.
Hailing a ride
- A number of taxi services offer service coverage between Marquam Hill and South Waterfront.
- Service hours: 24 hours a day.
- Average trip time: 12 minutes to 45 minutes depending on service and wait times.
- Broadway Cab - Taxi cab service. Website.
- Lyft - Ride hail service by smartphone. Website.
- Uber - Ride hail service by smartphone. Website.
- Radiocab - Taxi cab service. Website.
- Union Cab - Taxi cab service. Website.
- These services are not available on short notice but can provide a long term alternative when the Tram is not in service. Subject to vehicle availability.
- Average trip time: 12 minutes.
- Scoop - Find or share a ride in the morning or evening. Website.
- Car2Go - Car share service. Limited parking on Marquam Hill. Approval takes 3 to 7 business days. Website.
- Zipcar - Book a car for a round trip reservation. Approval takes 3 to 7 business days. Website.
Sky high views of Portland and beyond.